On Thursday evening I attended an event in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, hosted by the Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters, wearing my wool coat! That’s right — this patio reception in South Florida had me worried when my weather app told me the temps would drop into the 40’s. Luckily, the event was held on an enclosed patio with heaters, add in all the warm and friendly guests and it was a delightful and insightful evening. The cold weather was a topic I discussed with several adjusters who are helping policyholders after the record breaking frigid weather caused property damage to businesses and homes across the country.

Unlike states like New York, Massachusetts, and Michigan, one state that is not accustomed to such drastically cold weather is Georgia.

Valdosta, Georgia freeze

This picture was posted to Valdostacity.com.

Valdosta is southern Georgia – just a short distance from the Florida border!

The Associated Press reported that claims in Georgia have already reached $75 Million and are expected to grow.

ATLANTA (AP) — State officials say Georgians filed claims for an estimated $75 million in insured losses after temperatures in the region dropped well below freezing.

Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said in a statement Tuesday that the figure could rise as additional claims are filed. Hudgens says damage to property after last week’s sub-freezing temperatures was particularly extensive in northern Georgia.

Hudgens is reminding Georgians to call his office’s Consumer Services Division at 404-656-2070 if they have questions about a claim, or are having difficulties reaching their insurance company. Consumers calling from outside metro Atlanta may reach the division at 1-800-656-2298.

Hudgens says phone lines are open between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.

If your property was damaged in any state, be sure to follow the suggestion of my colleague, Ken Kahn. Make sure you have a complete policy, not just a declaration page with a few endorsements – you need the entire booklet or packet of the policy.

If you have questions about your property damage consider consulting with a licensed public insurance adjuster or first-party property attorney who has handled the type of damage you are experiencing.