If you have suffered a property loss and believe that you have been wronged by a delaying, denying, and bad treating insurance company, you have the right to file a complaint with your state insurance commissioner.
The Kentucky Department of Insurance regulates the Commonwealth’s insurance market, licenses agents and other insurance professionals, monitors the financial condition of companies, educates consumers to make wise choices, and ensures Kentuckians are treated fairly in the marketplace.1
Its mission is to promote a sound, competitive insurance market; protect the public through effective enforcement and regulations; and empower the public through outreach and education.2
The Kentucky Department of Insurance, Division of Consumer Protection, investigates Consumer Complaints by a consumer, or their representative, who is having difficulty settling a situation with an insurance company, agent, or adjuster.
Filing a consumer complaint is an easy process. Just click on this link to fill out a form online:
For those of you who prefer to mail or fax your complaint, you can click on the following link to a form that you can print and complete:
The Department also provides the following tips for filing an effective complaint against your insurance carrier:
Your written complaint should include:
• Your name, address and best daytime telephone number. (Please include your street address if your mailing address is a P.O. Box.)
• The type of insurance involved (i.e. homeowners, health, auto, life).
• The company and/or agent involved in your complaint.
• Your policy, claim, ID or group number (include any that apply). If your complaint is related to health insurance, please attach a copy of both sides of your health plan identification card.
• A detailed summary of your complaint, including copies of any related documents. (Please do not send originals.)
The Department will forward a copy of the complaint to the insurance company and the insurance company must respond to the complaint within 15 calendar days.
If you have any questions about the process for filing a complaint, you can contact the Kentucky Department of Insurance at 800-595-6053(Option 1)(KY only) or 502-564-6034, or reach out to a qualified insurance professional.