Recently, Robin Westcott left her post as Florida’s Insurance Consumer Advocate, but even though Robin is gone, the Homeowners’ Policy & Claims Bill of Rights continues on. Robin Westcott left the ICA to start work as the vice president of governmental affairs for American Association of Insurance Services.
It is believed that Logan Mitchell McFaddin, Legislative Affairs Director, Office of Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater, will be helping Atwater with Robin’s absence at this time. Vickie Twogood, CPM, has been with the Office of the Consumer Advocate for years and worked along our own Sean Shaw. Ms. Twogood is also still actively working on the Homeowners’ Policy & Claims Bill of Rights and she can be contacted at Office of the Florida Insurance Consumer Advocate: 850-413-2970.
Recently, the Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters and its lobbyist filed some suggestions about how to better help policyholders with the Bill of Rights. The recommendations are listed below.
Jeff Atwater, who was in the news asking questions about Florida’s high property insurance rates,
is expected to continue with the Bill of Rights.
Here is the list of the recommendation and the research materials submitted to the ICA and published on the website:
- Darius Grimes, Disaster-Smart Consulting, Inc., General Recommendations
- Raymond Altieri, Altieri Transco American Claims, General Recommendations
- Keri Rayborn Silver, Rayborn Consultants, Contractor’s Disclaimer Information
- Dale S. Dobuler, Esq., Ver Ploeg & Lumpkin, P.A. and Nicole Vinson, Esq., The Merlin Law Group, Adjusting and Investigating the Claim — Examinations Under Oath
- Dale S. Dobuler, Esq., Ver Ploeg & Lumpkin, P.A. and Nicole Vinson, Esq., The Merlin Law Group, Report on Assignment of Claims
- Paul Handerhan, Florida Association of Insurance Public Adjusters, Potential Mediation Reforms
- Reevaluating Standardized Insurance Policies, by Daniel Schwarcz
- Examinations Under Oath – United Policyholders, California
If you have further suggestions on property insurance rights, please email Merlin Law Group and Ms. Twogood at the Office of the Insurance Consumer Advocate.