I recently deposed corporate representatives from American Family, Auto Owners, State Farm and Allstate Insurance Companies and received the following admissions from some of those corporate representatives:
- the independent adjuster (often catastrophe adjusters) failed to follow key aspects of the insurers’ own claims handling guidelines;
- the independent adjuster failed to properly document the claims file, including failure to enter log notes regarding investigation of the claim;
- refusal by the independent adjuster to consider additional evidence submitted by the homeowner regarding the property damage claim;
- there was zero oversight the by insurer’s claim file manager, including no supervision of the independent adjuster;
- the claims manager failed to have any meaningful participation in the claim and failed to ensure the claims file was properly documented.
- the independent adjuster made an on site coverage determination and informed the homeowner in-person of the denial of coverage– without prior review of the claim or any supervision by the insurer’s claims manager.