When Alaskans are mistreated by their insurance companies, they can turn to the state government for help. Alaska’s Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development’s Division of Insurance has the authority to accept and investigate complaints by consumers.
According to the Division’s website, the following is a list of what disputes the Division can and cannot investigate:
Before filing a complaint, the Division asks that consumers attempt to resolve the dispute with their insurance company first. Then, it asks consumers to review its “How We Can Help” webpage, which includes a useful explanation of insurance rights.1 The Division also welcomes calls and e-mails from insureds in advance of filing a complaint.
Phone: 907-269-7900 or 1-800-INSURAK
Filing a consumer complaint can be done on the Division’s website, and is an easy process. The website includes a fillable form that asks some basic questions about the insurance at issue. It then asks for a description of the issues.
After the complaint is filed, the Division’s website states the following will happen:
After You File
• Within two weeks of filing, you should receive an acknowledgement letter stating your file number and the name of the consumer service specialist assigned to investigate your complaint.
• The Division will send a copy of your complaint to the company or other appropriate party and ask for an explanation of their position.
• Your specialist will review all responses received to assure the problem has been properly addressed. This may result in more communication between the examiner and the company or other parties.
• Your specialist will send you a letter with the investigation results.*
• If no evidence of a violation is found, the specialist will so advise and explain why the investigation is being closed.
• If your specialist is not satisfied with the company’s response, the investigation will continue.
*Normal complaints take approximately 45 working days to complete. If your complaint requires more time, we will notify you.
If you are not certain of your insurance claim rights or if you have questions about your policy benefits, please do not hesitate to call Merlin Law Group attorneys.